Thursday, December 1, 2011

Fireplace Phase 5

The fireplace is almost complete a few more weeks and it will be ready to install. The mantel has been cut to fit and is ready to be stained. I decided to use pine for it, as it was one of the nicest woods that I looked at, plus it wasn't really expensive.
Since the wood was in good condition, I decided that I don't have to paint it beige before staining it. The wood was cut to fit the chimney and was sanded. After it was sanded, I wiped it down with a damp rag and let it dry for a couple of hours. After making sure that it was completely dry, I set up my buckets and got busy with staining. I used the Minwax brand in #215 Red Oak. Unfortunately, this stain did not have the polyurethane (varnish) mixed in with it, so I had to buy some. I only put one coat of stain on the wood, as the red oak went on pretty dark. After letting it dry for a couple of days, I used the polyurethane to seal the stain on the wood. I had to let that dry for a few days before I could hang it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm a fun loving girl, who loves to travel and take pictures. I have my own photography business and I'm also a freelance writer.
 

Remodeling and Projects Copyright © 2010 | Designed by: Compartidisimo