Monday, May 31, 2010

Son's room

Over the weekend my husband and I fixed up our son's room. I did all of the painting and he installed the new carpet. The room looks so much better than it did before. I had a lot of fun doing it and had forgotten how much fun painting is.




























































This was the old red carpet that was in his room. It was really nasty, you would shampoo it and it still looked like it was dirty. We are guess that this carpet was put in the house back in the 1970's.
After we pulled up the carpet, this old wood floor was exposed. It was really dusty and had planks going in all directions. Just glad that we cleaned it and put down the new carpet.
This is the new carpet that was put in. It is the same color as the one that was put in the living room. It is a very neutral color and goes with just about anything, plus it is so soft. The cat was laying on it before we had a chance to move all of the furniture back into the room.
When we bought the place there was this hole that was in the wall. The only thing that we can figure out is the previous owner was going to pull wire through there or something.
My husband cut out a piece of drywall the same size and shape of the hole. He inserted a screw into the piece to act as a handle. Then he applied joint compound around the edges of the piece. Then he inserted it into the hole and had it slightly recessed about a sixteenth of an inch. Then he took a putty knife and applied more joint compound around the edges, smoothing as he went along. It had to dry for a couple of hours before sanding it flat. After it was dried, the screw was removed and a putty knife wider than the patch area was used to apply joint compound. After that was dry it was sanded once more.
The walls where white in the room. The paint was old and in some spots peeling. So I had to scrape all of the loose off before I could put on a layer of primer. The walls were also very dirty and in some spots had a yellow color to it.
After a few weeks of debating how I wanted the walls to look in his room, I decided that I wanted something that he could grow with. Plus that means I wouldn't have to redo his room until he was older. The idea hit me one evening, that I should try splatter painting. I painted the walls and ceiling white. After that was dry, I came in with the red paint. I put a little bit of paint on the brush and just flicked my wrist and arm. I did the same thing to the ceiling. When I was done with the red, I did the same thing with the blue. It was a lot of fun, and when I was done I had a ton of paint on me and the old red carpet had spots on it.

This is the wall after the carpet and new base board was put in.

I have no idea how old this door is. I know it is pretty old as it uses as skeleton key to lock it. It was in pretty rough shape.

After a coat of primer and white paint. I decided to paint the door red. I had to use two coats of the red paint and if you look closely you can still see some scratches and stuff in the door, though it does look a lot better now.


The window is new, though the frame around the window is old. I'm guessing that it is the original frame from when this room was added on. There were tons of little scratches and dents in the wood.


It took a coat of primer, and white paint to make the window look presentable. I decided to paint it blue to add some contrast to the room since the door was red. It took two coats of the blue paint to make it look nice.

Here is the after pic of the window with the new carpet. It looks so much nicer and brighter.




Here are some pictures after we moved the furniture and stuff back into our sons room. I think that it turned out great.

About Me

My photo
I'm a fun loving girl, who loves to travel and take pictures. I have my own photography business and I'm also a freelance writer.
 

Remodeling and Projects Copyright © 2010 | Designed by: Compartidisimo